The Master's Degree in BiologicalAnthropology offers graduates in Experimental Sciences and Humanities up-to-date training in human biodiversity origins, evolution and biomedical implications. Thedegree is a response to increasing demand for specialists in Human Biology and PhysicalAnthropology, providing knowledge and methodologies specific to the specialisation and its associated fields (Physiology, Genetics, Zoology, Medicine and Archaeology).
The degree is oriented mainly towards research but it is possible to carry out the work leading to themaster's dissertation with companies operating in this field.
* Grounds in human populations morphologic diversity 10 ECTS - UB
* Grouns in human molecular diversity 10 ECTS -UAB
Elective Modules of Specific Formation:
* Human evolution and Primatology 10 ECTS - UB
* Forensic anthropology 10 ECTS - UAB
* Genes, environment and disease 10 ECTS - UB
* Cancer 10 ECTS -UAB
Complementary Contents Modules in Human Biology - 10 ECTS
Common Modules - UB:
* Tools, Techniques and Communication 10 ECTS
* Genetics, Evolution and Biodiversity 10 ECTS
Research Practicum (code 560520) - 20 ECTS
The research module, of 20 ECTS (10 + 10), will consist of the design, exposition and defence of an original project about one of the specializations in Human Biology in the Physical Anthropology Knowledge Area. It will be developed under the tutorship of a professor (doctor) and will insist on the aspects concerning the raising of hypothesis, experimental design, result outcome and discussion of such results.
The research Practicum, which will have to be mainly experimental, will consist of the development of an original research project. Integrated in the research lines established in the Master, the project will have to contribute with new and innovative data in its field. It will be possible to develop it under the frame of an official research project directed by the tutor of the project, who will be a professor of one of the Universities included in the Inter-University Master, or by a doctor external to the Master. In the latter case, the project will have to be co-directed by a professor of one of the Universities of the Inter-University Master that is also teaching in the Master .
The acceptance to develop research projects will depend on the availability of each tutor and the places available in each academic year .
Research lines and responsible/s professor/s:
* Demographic Anthropology : C García-Moro (UB), M Hernández (UB), DI Toja (UB).
* Forensic Anthropology and Genetics : A Malgosa (UAB), E Subirà (UAB), A Pérez-Pérez (UB), E Bosch (UPF), F Calafell (UPF), D Comas (UPF).
* Applications on Genetic Epidemiology: P Moral (UB), L Fañanas (UB), D Comas (UPF), A Rosa (UPF), MR Caballín (UAB), J F Barquinero (UAB), G Armengol (UAB), RM Nogués (UAB).
* Cytogenetic and Molecular Studies of the effects of ionizing radiation and Cancer: MR Caballín (UAB), JF Barquinero (UAB), G Armengol (UAB).
* Human Population Genetics: P Moral (UB), MP Aluja (UAB), E Esteban (UB), E Bosch (UPF), F Calafell (UPF), A Navarro (UPF), D Comas (UPF)
* Applications on Complex Characters Genetics: L Fañanas (UB), P Moral (UB), E Esteban (UB), E Bosch (UPF), F Calafell (UPF), A Navarro (UPF), D Comas (UPF), A Rosa (UPF), B Arias (UB), RM Nogués (UAB).
* Mechanics of mastication and bipedal locomotion: A Casinos (UB), A Pérez-Pérez (UB), S Moyà-Sola (UAB), M Köhler (UAB)
* Palaeontology and Human Evolution: D Turbón (UB), A Pérez-Pérez (UB), C Lalueza (UB), A Malgosa (UAB), S Moyà-Solà (UAB), M Köhler (UAB).
* Human Population Biodynamics: M Hernández (UB), D Turbón (UB), C Garcia-Moro (UB), F Calafell (UPF), P Moral (UB), MP Aluja (UAB), R Nogués (UAB), DI Toja (UB), E Esteban (UB).
* Ecological adaptations and feeding in Primates and Hominids: A Pérez-Pérez (UB), A Malgosa (UAB), E Subirà (UAB), S Moyà-Solà (UAB), M Köhler (UAB).
* Molecular mechanisms of speciation in Primates: A Navarro (UPF).
The research project will have to be publicly exposed and defended in front of a Committee created to such effect, to which a detailed memory of the project developed will have to be handed in. The Committee will consist of three professor of the Master, (UB, UAB, UPF), and will evaluate the adequacy of the module carried out according to the applicable legislation.
Criteria to pass the credits: delivery of the research memory within the established period of time and positive evaluation by the Committee of both the memory and public defence of it. The defence of the memory will be necessary to fulfil the training of the Research Master.
Periods: despite that to administration effects the defence session is a single one, it is disposed in two evaluation periods (July and September) and students will have to choose before the ending of the teaching period when the experimental project will be exposed. There will be no possibility to repeat the exposition. Therefore, the project of the Research Module will have to be fulfilled during the academic year registered, simultaneously to the other modules registered; however, the results can be handed in till before the beginning of the next academic year.
Professionalizing Practicum (codi 560521) - 20 ECTS
The professionalizing practicum will consist of a period of time in a company or entity, either public or private, aiming to gain experience in formative tasks directly related to all the needs that society demands. The objective of such stay is to develop a directed practical project allowing students to acquire competences, and above all, specific capabilities and skills in the specific tasks and functions in the implied companies. Registering in this module will demand the compromise of fulfilling the minimum required dedication for each associated entity.
The practicum will be developed under the tutorship of a professor (doctor) of the Master, directed by a representative of the cooperative institution and will insist in aspects of professional training of the project developed. It can be both methodological or technique, as well as applied, of research, design, formative or theoretical. In any case, the knowledge and training acquired for the labour insertion according to the specialization chosen will be evaluated.
The project done will have to be publicly defended in front of a Committee created to such effect, and formed by at least a professor of the Master and, if possible, one or two representatives of the cooperative institutions. Previously, a detailed memory of the project will have to be handed in to the Committee, who will evaluate the acquired training level, the excellence of the memory handed in and its defence.
Cooperative entities, professionalizing projects and responsible people:
* MONA Foundation: Conservation and management of reserves with Primates in captivity. Dr. M Llorente.
* Zoo Park of Barcelona : Management of zoo parks and Primate Biodiversity.
* Psychology Faculty, UB: Techniques in study of animal behaviour in Primates in Alouatta , Mexico. Dr. J Veà
* TFS Trial Form Support Australia: A company that performs clinical trials offered work in the department of Medical writing, in which both doctors and biologists are working on and conduct scientific advice and statistical study design, protocol assaigos of clinical late assaigos clinical reports, clinical documentation and implementation of abstracts, posters and manuscripts of clinical studies.
* Advanced Formation Itinerary: students will have to be registered of a minimum of 60 ECTS, choosing them from the modules of the POP and those specific of the Master.
* Research Itinerary: students will have to be registered of the Research module (20 ECTS) and a minimum of 40 ECTS chosen from the modules of the POP and those specific of the Master.
* Professionalizing Itinerary: students will have to be registered of the Professionalizing Practicum (20 ECTS) and a minimum of 40 ECTS chosen from the modules of the POP and those specific of the Master.
* Free Configuration Itinerary: only in special cases where the previous education of the student requires it, and according to the Master Coordinator and the POP Coordinative Committee, it is possible to design a specific itinerary, partially or totally, of the students' formative curriculum.
The evaluation of the subjects will be done progressively including the attendance to theory classes, practice sessions, outings to the field, participation in seminars and guided activities, elaboration of projects, briefings, reports, and typical tasks of the research and professionalizing module, together with the evaluation tests established.